Australia has a wide range of industries that offer part-time and casual work. Before you undertake any paid work, you must make sure your visa allows you to work.

On an international student visa (Subclass 500), you are allowed to work up to 48 hours a fortnight when your semester/term is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled breaks. You should regularly check your visa conditions to ensure your working hours align with that what your visa allows.

 Aside from earning extra money, casual work provides an excellent opportunity to be immersed in the Northern Territory culture and community, develop your resume and make new friends. 

If you're searching for a job or getting ready to work as an international student, there are a few important things you need to do:

  1. Open an Australian bank account.
  2. Register for you Tax File Number (TFN). Read more about your tax requirements as an international student here
  3. Tell your employer that you are only allowed to work 48 hours a fortnight during the term time, with unlimited hours during study breaks.
  4. Understand your work rights and responsibilities.