Studying in Northern Territory schools

School education in the Northern Territory includes preschool, preparatory (transition), primary school (years 1-6), middle school (years 7-9) and high school (years 10-12). There are two types of schools in the Northern Territory- independent (sometimes called private schools) and government schools.

Students studying with a Northern Territory school receive an excellent education in a supportive, safe and caring environment.

The Northern Territory Certificate of Education and Training (NTCET) is awarded at the end of year 12 to students who successfully meet its requirements. With the right combination of subjects, students may then qualify for an Australian Tertiary Entrance Rank (ATAR). An ATAR is recognised by universities internationally and at all universities in Australia.

The following education providers deliver a school education in the Northern Territory.


Northern Territory Government schools 

The Northern Territory Department of Education is registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and can offer places to international students at any government school.

These Northern Territory Government schools in Darwin have intensive English language units:

The Northern Territory Department of Education has an international education unit which coordinates services for international students studying in government schools. This includes:

  • recruiting and placing international students (including dependents of people who hold temporary resident visas) in government schools.
  • managing the homestay program for international secondary students.

To find out how to enrol at a government school, go to the Northern Territory Government website

Contact Information

Phone: +61 8 8999 5895 
Website: NTG International Services


Private schools

Other non-government schools and colleges (known in other countries as private or independent schools) registered for international students are: