Whether you are aiming for postgraduate studies or starting a successful professional journey, the Northern Territory offers numerous opportunities to advance your career. International students who have graduated from a Northern Territory education provider have options if they would like to consider staying or migrating in the Northern Territory post studies. International students can apply for one of the Australian Government's skilled and post-study work visas.

Graduate visa options

If you choose to stay in the Northern Territory after graduating, you may need to get a new visa. Some of the visa options that may be available for you include:

  • Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)
    • The Temporary Graduate visa has two streams: the Graduate Work stream, and the Post-Study Work stream. 
    • The Graduate Work stream is for international students who graduate with a vocational education and training qualification. A visa in this stream is generally granted for 18 months. 
    • The Post-Study Work stream is for higher education international students who have recently graduated with a degree from a Northern territory institution. It lets you live, work and study in Australia, temporarily. A visa in this stream is generally granted between two and four years depending on your qualification. 
    • Northern Territory graduates who remain in the Northern Territory for two years after studies have access to an additional two years on their Graduate Visas. 
  • General Skilled Migration Visa
    • Northern Territory Government nominates skilled graduates who have occupations in demand, meet standard criteria and demonstrate commitment to live and work in the Northern Territory on a long-term basis. 
    • Nominations are issued for permanent and provisional 5-year visas. 
    • Graduates who choose the Northern Territory as their first study destination and complete studies in the Northern Territory are given preference for a permanent visa nomination.