Public transport 

It is easy to get around the Northern Territory with our public transport system. Bus transport operates in Darwin and Palmerston offering students discounted travel, and free travel for Northern Territory primary, middle and senior high school students. 

International student bus fares are $1 per trip or $7 per week of unlimited travel. You can easily check bus timetables by downloading the NT Bus Tracker app.

Walking and cycling

With the Northern Territory's sunny weather and beautiful, natural environment, walking and cycling is a great way to explore the city. The Northern Territory has plenty of cycling and walking paths. 

You can bring your own bike or buy/hire one when you are arrive. Don't forget to wear a helmet as well.

To view the Northern Territory's cycling and walking paths, visit the Northern Territory cycling and walking webpage

E-scooters and e-bikes

E-scooters and e-bikes are a great option for commuters, providing a quick, environmentally friendly and inexpensive mode of transport to move around Darwin. E-scooters and e-bikes operate in Darwin, the Waterfront, Cullen Bay, East Point and parts of the northern suburbs. E-scooters and e-bikes are considered as motor vehicles and all users must follow the road rules. You must be at least 18 years of age to hire one. Simply download the Neuron Mobility app to your mobile device and then create an account. 

If you own an e-scooter, you can only ride it on private property. You cannot ride it on roads, footpaths or public paths. For more information on e-scooters and e-bikes visit the Northern Territory Government's electronic scooters and bikes webpage.

Driving in the Northern Territory

Can international students drive in the Northen Territory? Yes, you can, if, your licence is current and written in English, you haven't been disqualified from driving in the Northern Territory or anywhere else and you carry your licence with you at all times whilst driving. For more information driver licences visit the Northern Territory Government's drivers licence webpage. You must also apply for a Northern Territory Drivers Licence within three months of Living in the Northern Territory. 

Driving in Australia is on the left-hand side of the road - the same as Malayasia, Singapore and Indonesia, and the opposite to China, the Philippines and the United States of America, where driving is on the right-hand side of the road. International and Australian drivers from other states can drive with an international or state licence but must apply for a Northern Territory Drivers Licence within three months of living in the Northern Territory. 

Hire cars and taxis

Taxis, hire cars and ridesharing services such as Uber are available in most major towns in the Northern Territory. You can book a taxi by phone, online or with an app, or waiting at taxi ranks located around the city, transport terminals and shopping centres. You can also hail taxis on the street. 

Rideshare drivers will pick you up from agreed location and will take you where you need to go.