Home / Study / Frequently asked questions / Visas for studying

Student visa options

A simplified student visa framework (SSVF) came into effect on 1 July 2016 in an effort to make applying for a student visa simpler to navigate for international students.

The Australian Government's Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website has further information on this framework, but SSVF means that:

  • international students will apply for a single Student visa (subclass 500) regardless of their chosen course of study
  • student guardians will apply for the new Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)
  • a single immigration risk framework will apply to all international students
  • all students and student guardians will generally be required to lodge their visa application online by creating an account in ImmiAccount
  • DIBP has a fact sheet for genuine temporary entrant (GTE) visa criteria. To find out if you are eligible, download the easy to read information on their website.

Other visas

Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)

  • Suitable for those aged at least 18 but not yet 31 years of age.
  • For those who do not have a dependent child accompanying them at any time during their stay.
  • For those with a passport from an eligible country.

Read more on the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417).

Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)

  • Be a parent or person who has custody of the student, or a relative who is 21 years or older and has been nominated in writing by a parent or someone who has custody of the student.
  • Not bring family members younger than six years of age, except under certain circumstances.
  • Be able to provide accommodation, general welfare and other support to the student unless you are applying for this visa with the support of the government your home country.

Read more on the Student Guardian visa (subclass 590).

Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)

DIBP has introduced a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) for post-study work arrangements.

Read detailed information about your eligibility for a post-study work arrangement and for more facts, questions and answers on the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485).

What documents do I need to provide with my application?

It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application. You must provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless specifically asked for. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

If you are applying online, please submit all supporting documents through your ImmiAccount. If applying on paper, please send completed forms and documents by post or courier.

How long will it take for my application to be processed?

For your visa application to be processed as quickly as possible, lodge your application online making sure you include all required information in your application. It also helps if you have the results of medical examinations, police checks, and English language tests, and, if required, skills assessment documentation ready when you first apply for the visa.