Home / Study / Frequently asked questions
What courses can I study in the Northern Territory?

There’s everything from internationally recognised senior secondary secondary courses through to PhDs - 122 different courses across eleven education providers. There are diplomas in aged care, engineering degrees with European accreditation, as well as degrees such as law, business and commerce.

When do I need to apply by to study in the Northern Territory?

Allow plenty of time to apply for your student visa - how long it takes depends on your individual circumstances. The school academic year runs from the end of January through to early December. Each school year has four terms of 10 weeks each and it’s best to start at the beginning of a term although enrolment can commence at any time. English language (ELICOS) and vocational education and training (VET) courses often have flexible entry times although the usual start times are January and July. All university courses commence in February and many also take enrolments in July.

Can I attend high school as an international student in the Northern Territory?

Yes. The main Northern Territory Government high school in Darwin for international students is Darwin High School but you can apply to study at any government school, anywhere in the Northern Territory. The non-government schools - also known as private schools - that enrol international students are:

In Darwin

In Alice Springs

Can I study English in the Northern Territory?

Yes. If you are a school student there are dedicated English language classes at most schools you might attend. There are also dedicated English language courses, or ELICOS courses, at the Australian Careers College, International House Business College and Navitas English Darwin.

Find out more on ELICOS courses in Australia's Northern Territory.

What Scholarships are available to study in the Northern Territory?

Check out the scholarship page to see the scholarships available for school students, vocational education and training students, and higher education students. Check back intermittently as new scholarships are added regularly.

What are the next steps if I am accepted to study in the Northern Territory?

Keep in touch with your education provider who will have good advice.

I have children coming with me from overseas. Where can they go to school?

Check the conditions of your visa for whether your children will be classed as an ‘international student’ when they study in Australia’s Northern Territory. If they are an international student they need to enrol at a school with a CRICOS provider number. This includes any government school plus the following non-government schools.

In Darwin

In Alice Springs

Where can I live when studying in the Northern Territory?

If you’re over 18 there are lots of accommodation options including purpose built student accommodation, homestay, boarding facilities and the private rental market.

If you’re under the age of 15 you must live with a parent.

15 to 17 year olds must have suitable accommodation and welfare arrangements which could be:

  • with parents or close relatives approved by the Department of Home Affairs
  • with parent-nominated homestay with distant relatives or close family friends confirmed and approved by your education provider
  • in a homestay accommodation arranged by your provider
  • boarding facilities.
What are the costs of studying in the Northern Territory?
  • As a student visa holder, you must have enough funds to pay all the costs of studying in Australia, including tuition fees, visa fees living expenses, overseas student health cover and return airfares.
  • The cost will depend on the course you choose - see course search and contact the education provider.
What community support is there for international students in the Northern Territory?

There is very good community support for international students. Your education provider will also assist you, making sure you’re settling into your studies and achieve your goals. There’ll be lots of new groups to join - student groups, clubs to join, sports team and volunteer organisations.

How can I connect with other people from my home country while studying in the Territory?

There are over 100 multicultural organisations in the Northern Territory - contact a multicultural community group.

What are the benefits of studying in the Northern Territory?
  • High quality Australian qualifications in a safe, friendly community.
  • Boost your job and career growth opportunities.
  • We're Australia's gateway to Asia and Asia's gateway to Australia.
What’s life like for an international student living in the Northern Territory?

We could tell you how marvellous it is to live and study in the Territory but why not listen to an actual international student, or read their story? Can I introduce you to Joseph studying at Darwin High School, Jacqueline and Cherry studying higher education degrees at Charles Darwin University, and Tommy studying a diploma at Charles Darwin University. Meet the students.

Why is the Northern Territory one of the best places for international students from Asia to study?

The Northern Territory - or ‘The Territory’ as we call it - has internationally recognised qualifications which will give you the freedom to learn from the best. The climate is warm, as are its people. You will feel at home here amongst people from nearly 70 different countries who live in Darwin.

What industries and careers can studying in the Northern Territory get me into?

We’ll give you the freedom to discover new horizons and pathways to your future. The Northern Territory has the lowest unemployment rate in Australia, which means there are lots of opportunities for you to find work in … accounting, banking, engineering, construction, childcare, aged care, environment, teaching, nursing - the opportunities are only limited by your imagination.