Home / News / COVID-19 support for international students


COVID-19 support for international students

Needing help during coronavirus (COVID-19)? This page lists the support in place for international students.

Worker and Wellbeing Fund

Lost your job or your income has been reduced because of coronavirus (COVID-19) and you’re not already receiving financial and / or wellbeing support, including Centrelink benefits?

The Worker and Wellbeing Fund:

- helps people access wellbeing and other counselling or support services that are available
- helps people navigate the welfare system and access income and any other financial support available
- helps workers who have lost their job find new employment opportunities fast - such as guiding people to job matching services like the Territory Jobs Hub
- assists Territorians who require access to accommodation and other essentials.

For more information and to apply, go to the Department of the Chief Minister website.

Kindness Shake

Free weekly feed - more than 1200 meals have been distributed as part of the Kindness Shake (KS), an initiative providing international students and community members in need with a free weekly feed.

Due to high demand the KS operating twice a week, with a new pick-up point in Darwin’s CBD. KS service Fridays at CDU Casuarina campus and now Mondays at Melaleuca Refugee Centre from 6pm to 7pm.

To register for KS, go to the Eventbrite website.

The Kindness Shake has been made possible thanks to the support of community groups, local business owners, amazing international student volunteers, Charles Darwin University and the Northern Territory Government.

To find out more, go to the Kindness Shake Facebook page, the Kindness Shake website, or email info@kindness-shake.com.au.

Access to superannuation

International students who have been in Australia longer than 12 months, who find themselves in financial hardship, are able to access their Australian superannuation.

Applications for early release of superannuation are through myGov. To register your interest, login to myGov website and following the intention to access coronavirus support instructions.

If you don’t have a myGov account, you can set one up by selecting 'create an account'. For more information, go to the Australian Tax Office website.

Extended working arrangement

If you an international student employed by a health, disability or aged care organisation, the Australian Government has announced special working arrangements. Contact your employer for more information.

Consular support

You can contact your embassy or local consular office to see if help is available there

You can search for your embassy or local consular office contact details on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.

For updated information join the Study in Australia’s Northern Territory Facebook group.